In order to assure that you are I-9 compliant and are ready for an I-9 audit, read the six step checklist listed below:
- Have employees fully and properly complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 no later than the date employment commences.
- Review the required documents to provide identity and employment authorization to ensure that they appear genuine and that they apply to the person presenting them.
- Properly complete Section 2 of the Form I-9, and sign and date the employer certification within THREE business days of the date that the employment commences (so-called Monday-Thursday rule).
- Retain the Form I-9 for the required retention period.
- Re-verify employment authorization for employees presenting a time-limited Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or other type of time-limited document.
- Make the Form I-9 available for inspection if requested by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), ICE, and other relevant agencies
If have any questions or concerns regarding I-9 compliance contact our Of Counsel, Deepak Ahluwalia at email@example.com.